Last time I said the iPhone SE 2020 was good enough for most people. I can now add easily.
Now iPhone SE 2020 reviews are out, and the summary is compelling and remarkably similar across different reviews: Apple’s new small phone is a smash at AED 1699.
- It’s not perfect, it’s by no means better than the iPhone 11, and it’s not an upgrade for most people.
- For those considering upgrading, it’s a phone without many compromises, especially for Apple.
Normally I’d linger on interesting review points or disagreements, but the reviews keep saying the same thing, with lots of high marks and star ratings:
- The biggest improvements over the iPhone 8 come from the A13 chip, notably in a better camera. While there’s just one 12MP lens, like the Pixel 3a, it’s very capable of shooting good if not wonderful shots. The main downside is that there’s no low-light camera mode.
- Other than that, the size and form factor appeal to many. The giant bezels are tired and don’t really make the most of the device, but many reviewers point out that this just feels normal for those with older iPhones already looking to upgrade.
- Also, fast LTE (without 5G) and Wi-Fi 6 compatibility, plus wireless charging.
- Focusing on battery life for a second: most rated it good, not great. It lasts a day but, for example, instead of coasting home with 40% battery life to spare, you might be down to 20%. All other iPhones in Apple’s range do better. CNET reckoned battery life was great based on battery tests, Wired was more pointed in explaining real-life usage examples that led to needing to charge more than once in a day.
- The reviews are so positive you almost need to remember what you get when paying double for premium smartphones: better and more versatile cameras, bigger more brilliant screens for multimedia, longer-lasting devices, 5G for super-fast wireless networking, and more in the box, like fast-charging.
Devices like the Samsung S20 range, LG V60, or the OnePlus 8, or indeed the Apple iPhone 11 feel more like computers in your pocket, while the iPhone SE is a capable smartphone.
Can’t wait for my to arrive. Apple, be kind.