Sega’s Game Gear Micro is new, only in Japan, and for some reason is featured prominently on many good and serious tech sites.
Let me explain what it is and maybe we can figure out why that is.
- It has a 1.15-inch screen, and runs on 2 AAA batteries.
- You can buy one of four colors, and each has four games built-in, that’s it.
- So, each color has four different games: the black console has Sonic the Hedgehog, Puyo Puyo 2, Out Run, and Royal Stone.
- The blue variant includes Sonic Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Sylvan Tale, Baku Baku Animal. Red and yellow have other games.
- Sega wants you to buy all four, which is Not Cool. And if you do, you can go for all four in a $250 pack, which gives you the mini version of the classic Big Window magnifying-glass accessory.
- It is Sega’s 60th anniversary and I guess throwbacks make sense…but again, it is Japan only, for now.
- All in all, this is strange and confusing. No one should buy this. The idea of a small hand-held and cheap console that just works is still a good idea.
- This ain’t it.